Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Joy of Cooking

Cooking is so fulfilling and creative. My head fills with images of beautifully presented meals when I read recipes. Recipes are guidelines and are not meant to be taken as gospel. They often require tweaking to make them a bit more personal. I love taking old classics and spicing them up with new twists. Joy comes to me from people who are pleasantly surprised by a new taste in a dish that they thought they knew intimately. A man who has only ever known his mother's lasagna might have doors of possibilities opened for him when he suddenly realizes that there is so much more to lasagna than long, wide noodles, ricotta & mozzerella, and "red sauce". A girl who has the same fried egg with toast every morning for breakfast might become inspired in ways she did not know possible when she is shown the wonderful things you can do with eggs and toast if you use a little imagination. A dish that does not turn out quite right is a learning experience and will make the next dish you create a little bit more delicious.

The only ugly side of cooking: clean up.

3 comments:

  1. A woman after my own heart~! I think of recipes as guidelines, a point to take off from. I will usually follow a recipe as written the first time I try it--I want to know what the original chef had in mind, but then I will change it up after that~! It is like following your mom around to get a recipe--you literally have to watch what she does because you can be sure it is not written down anywhere~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i envy you.
    i dunno why but i m yet to put my creativity to test in the kitchen.
    26 years gone.. i dunno how many more to go and i dont like the sight of me in the kitchen :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to hate cooking. I mean, truly despise it. I can get by in the kitchen, but I've always hated it.

    Then I started watching the Food Network and a whole world opened up to me. The chef's made it all seem so easy, particularly Emeril Lagasse. He's made me a much better cook by showing me techniques that I can use. Now I love to cook and try new things out. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete