Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Silver Lining

I feel a bit sorry for people who refuse to find the silver lining. So often, a difficult situation is actually an opportunity to learn, teach, and grow. I do not understand why anyone would WANT to first look to how a situation causes them hardship, unfairness, or inconvenience. I believe that we create our own luck and that we are all responsible for our own happiness. Life is what you make of it. If you decide that it is full of sunshine, flowers and butterflies, music, and love - then that is what your life will be. I catch myself becoming defensive and upset with people and I am working to recognize those feelings before they effect my mindset. I want to be able to stop those feelings from taking over and blurring my vision. I am too often reactive rather than proactive. I use writing as an outlet for my emotions. I tend to allow myself to get worked up about things that I could be using as opportunities to learn, teach, and grow. I struggle with this. I spill my emotions all over the page or screen without first contemplating the cause of such emotions. My goal is to eventually be at such peace, that when a person presents me with an opportunity to learn their point of view and frame of reference, I will take advantage of that opportunity rather than succumb to the emotions that prevent me from learning.

1 comment:

  1. I heard Dennis Prager say once that he would rather have clarity with someone, to understand why someone believes what they believe. There does not necessarily have to be agreement. I found that a very calming influence in my life, and there are plenty of things I do not agree with with Dennis, but I loved this philosophy. It is, as you say, an opportunity to learn something, not just react and accomplish little.

    ReplyDelete